Abstract

WEAK RHD (DU) PHENOTYPIC EXPRESSION AMONG THE BLOOD DONORS AND RECIPIENTS IN PESIMSR, KUPPAM

Author(s): Sindhu R, Shaik Zayed, Udaya Kumar Manikyam, Vastrad B. C

BACKGROUND Rh blood group system is based on the presence or absence of the Rh antigen, often called the Rh factor, on the cell membranes of the red blood cells (erythrocytes).Some red cells possess the D antigen but it is expressed so weakly that the cells are not agglutinated directly by anti-D sera. An indirect antiglobulin test is necessary to identify patients with the Weak D (formerly known as Du) phenotype.1 Detecting the Rh blood group as well as Du testing among the Rh-negative individuals is important as the antibodies against Rh antigen can cause transfusion reaction and haemolytic anaemias.2 MATERIALS AND METHODS This Cross-sectional study was done on 6346 individuals who were blood donors and recipients of blood bank of PESIMSR, Kuppam over a period of 6 months. They were grouped for ABO Rh D antigen and those negative for Rh D antigen were subjected to Du test by IAT (indirect antiglobulin test). RESULTS Among 6346 individuals who were blood donors and recipients subjected to Rh typing, 422(6.64%) individuals were found to be Rh negative and 5924 (93.36%) individuals were found to be Rh positive. Out of 422 Rh negative samples, 1(0.24%) was found to be Du positive, while the remaining 421(99.76%) samples were Du negative. CONCLUSION Detection of weak Du positive blood donors and recipients would remarkably reduce the incidence of transfusion reactions and save on the scarce O negative blood for emergencies.