Abstract

STUDY OF ROLE OF FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY (FNAC) IN EYELID AND ORBITAL LESIONS

Author(s): Ashok Kumar P1, Kalpana V. M2, Faraz Ali M3, Subhashini M4, Rajavelu Indira5

AIM
To study the role of FNAC in eyelid and orbital lesions. To evaluate the safety profile of FNAC and its primary role in secondary orbital tumours.
MATERIALS AND METHOD
In this retrospective study, 30 cases were studied for a period of 1 year from March 2011 to March 2012, which includes 20 eyelid lesions and 10 anterior orbital lesions that presented to our Outpatient Department of Orbit and Oculoplasty.
RESULTS
Among the 20 eyelid lesions, aspirates of 19 were found adequate for the FNAC diagnosis that is sample adequacy of 95%. Only 1 aspirate (10%) was found inadequate. Similarly, among the 10 orbital cases, sample adequacy of 90% (9 cases) were noted and 1 aspirate (10%) was found inadequate. Of the 19 adequate eyelid lesion aspirates, 73.68% (14 aspirates) were found positive for malignancy, while the remaining 26.31% (5 aspirates) were reported as benign. Similarly, out of 9 adequate orbital aspirates, 77.77% (7 cases) showed positivity for malignancy, remaining 22.22% (2 cases) showed benign nature. Out of the 19 adequate eyelid lesion aspirates, 89.47% (17 aspirates) showed an exact correlation with the HPE results. Remaining 10.52% (2 aspirates) showed indefinite diagnosis, which had shown the lesion to be a benign spindle tumour, HPE confirmed these aspirates as Neurofibroma. Out of the 9 adequate orbital lesion aspirates, exact correlation was found in 88.88% (8 aspirates) and Indefinite diagnosis was seen in 11.11% (1 aspirate) which had shown the lesion as benign spindle lesion. HPE confirmed this as neurofibroma. All the cytology reports of 30 cases were received within 6 hours of sending the aspirate.
CONCLUSION
Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology of the eyelids and orbit lesions is a safe procedure. It can be done without anaesthesia in outpatient department and can be done in patients who are not fit for anaesthesia. It delivers results within 5–6 hours. It differentiates lesions as benign or malignant very easily. It can be considered as a first diagnostic investigation of choice in tumours such as lymphoma, metastatic tumours and infections that do not require surgical intervention for treatment. It gives rapid results and correlates highly with biopsy proven HPE. FNAC can be considered as a primary investigation in the diagnosis of eyelid and orbital lesions and it can be done safely as an outpatient procedure.