Raja Vojjala1, Ravi Shankar T2
To show that Bethesda system is useful in reporting cytopathological changes in thyroid.
MATERIALS AND METHODS
This is a prospective study of cases referred to Balaji Diagnostics and Research Centre & Shadan Institute of Medical sciences- Hyderabad for FNAC during March 2012 to February 2014.
This study consisted of 200 cases. Benign category was the largest (85%) followed by ND/UNS category (6%), malignant and SFM category constituted 2% and 3% making a total of 5%, AUS/FLUS constituted 3% cases and FN/SFN had 1%. In ND/UNS category, all cases came under subcategory cyst fluid only. There was no case in other subcategories. In benign category, 140 cases had consistency with benign follicular nodule, 26 cases had consistency with lymphocytic thyroiditis, 2 each were having consistency with granulomatous thyroiditis. AUS/FLUS had constituted only 3% of 200 cases and FN/SFN had constituted only 1% of 200 cases. Under SFM category, 4 cases were suspicious of papillary carcinoma, 1 each suspicious of lymphoma and other related diseases. Under malignant category, papillary thyroid carcinoma constituted 3 cases and 1 case of medullary carcinoma.
Bethesda is an excellent reporting system for thyroid FNA. It also provides clear management guidelines to clinicians to go for followup FNA or surgery and also the extent of surgery.