Abstract

CLINICO-HISTOPATHOLOGICAL STUDY OF THYROID LESIONS IN A TERTIARY CARE CENTER OVER A PERIOD OF ONE YEAR

Author(s): Dr. Ponnada Sravani,

BACKGROUND Thyroid nodules are common in clinical practice, occurring globally with wide variation in incidence and histopathological pattern related to age, sex, dietary and environmental factors. This study was undertaken to describe the spectrum, frequency, age, sex distribution and various histopathological patterns of thyroid lesions. MATERIALS AND METHODS The present study is a hospital based prospective observational study conduted for a period of one year from January 2017 to December 2017, and was conducted in the Department of Pathology, Andhra Medical College, Visakhapatnam. Tissue samples for H&E sections were fixed in 10% formalin and subjected to routine paraffin embedded processing and stained with Haematoxylin and Eosin. Various histopathological patterns were observed and compared. RESULTS Out of total 160 cases of thyroid lesions, maximum number of lesions were seen in patients in the age group of 31-40 years (n=49, 30.62%) with male to female ratio of 1: 9.66. Most common clinical symptom was midline neck swelling. Out of 160 cases, 100 cases (62.5%) were diagnosed as non-neoplastic and remaining 60 cases (37.5%) as neoplastic.