Malleswari Belle, Shridhar Baburao, Rajini, Harish Venkatakrishna
BACKGROUND Diabetes is a common disease that is associated with high mortality and morbidity from macro vascular and micro vascular complications. Whereas macro-vascular complications, particularly cardiovascular diseases, substantially reduce the life expectancy of diabetics in all age groups, micro vascular complications lead to blindness, renal failure and amputation, which require expensive health care resources. As the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is usually preceded by years of undiagnosed hyperglycemia, at the time of first diagnosis 8% of patients already have cardiovascular disease, 37% have micro aneurysms or more severe retinopathy in one eye, 18% have retinopathy in both eyes, 18% have micro albuminuria, and 2.3% and 15.2% have polyneuropathy defined by clinical signs and according to electrophysiological criteria, respectively. We wanted to study the association of BMI with nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. METHODS We have studied a total of 50 patients including both male and females of type 2 diabetes mellitus with respect to the various clinical presentations including urinary symptoms. Patients were categorised into two groups one with BMI<25 and another with BMI >25. These patients are evaluated for duration of diabetes, changes in weight, central obesity, dietary habits & exercise pattern. Each patient was further evaluated with complete blood count, blood urea, creatinine, FBS, PPBS. RESULTS In our study a total of 50 patients of type 2 diabetes mellitus were enrolled of which 22 (44%) are males and 28 (56%) are females. Of the 50 patients, 22 patients have BMI <25 of which 6 patients have diabetic nephropathy and of the 28 patients with BMI>25, 13 patients have diabetic nephropathy. CONCLUSIONS Our study results show that, nephropathy was noted in a total of 19 patients (38%), of which 6 (31.6%) patients have BMI <25 and the remaining 13 (68.4%) patients have BMI >25.