R. Ramakrishna1, A. Ambica2
50 patients of COPD having moderate to severe COPD were analysed with clinical, chest x-ray, CT scan, serum c reactive protein and albumin levels and microbiological study by sputum microscopy for culture and sensitivity and gram stain. Mean age of the patients was 63±7.87 years. Out of 50 Patients 45 were men (90%) and the remaining were women (10%). Bronchiectasis was present in 30 patients (60%). H. influenza was the commonest organism isolated from sputum. Patients with bronchiectasis had significantly more exacerbations (p=0.0001), severe airway obstruction (p=0.037), higher crp levels (p=0.0001) and low album In levels (p=0.007). Nine patients (30%) died in bronchiectasis group and only one patient (3.33%) died in patients without bronchiectasis. Our study showed an elevated prevalence of bronchiectasis in patients with moderate to severe COPD and was associated with severe airway obstruction. Increased exacerbations, inflammation, malnutrition and mortality in Indian patients.