Abstract

A STUDY OF PREVALENCE OF MICROALBUMINURIA IN NON-DIABETIC ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE

Author(s): Dr. Umesh Bilagi,

BACKGROUND Cardiovascular disorders are the most serious prevalent disorders and account for approximately 12 million deaths annually and is the commonest cause of death globally. Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD) causes more deaths and disability and incurs greater economic costs than any other illness in the developed world. IHD is a condition in which there is an inadequate supply of blood and oxygen to a portion of the myocardium; it typically occurs when there is an imbalance between myocardial oxygen supply and demand. Micro albuminuria is a known indicator of atherosclerosis and its association with IHD has been extensively studied in the diabetic population; however, significance of urinary micro albumin in non-diabetics is yet to be elucidated. The primary aim of this study was to study the prevalence of micro albuminuria in IHD. METHODS An observational cross-sectional study was conducted in the department of cardiology, Karnataka Institute of Medical sciences. A total of 70 cases of newly detected Ischemic Heart Disease was included in the study based on inclusion and exclusion criteria. Data was compiled in MS Excel and was checked for its appropriateness and then analyzed. RESULTS Out of the total 70 cases, 43 (61.4%) were males and 27 (38.6%) were females. In our study, majority of the cases were in the age group of 51-60 yrs. which constituted 35.7% of the total cases studied. Out of the total cases, 52 (74.3%) cases had micro albuminuria. Mean micro albumin level was 61.89 ± 35.14. Out of a total of 70 cases, 55 cases (78.6%) had myocardial infarction and 15 cases (21.4%) had presentation of Unstable Angina. Amongst 55 cases of myocardial infarction, 42 cases (76.36%) had micro albuminuria and amongst 15 cases had unstable angina 10 cases (66.67%) had micro albuminuria. The mean level of micro albuminuria in infarct cases was 66.6 ± 36.37, and amongst ischemia cases was 44.64 ± 24.02. The calculated difference for mean level of micro albuminuria between ischemia and infarct cases was statistically significant (p<0.05). CONCLUSIONS Our study shows higher prevalence of micro albuminuria in Ischemic Heart Disease and can be regarded as an important additional risk factor for IHD and it is recommended to add this laboratory workup as a tool for primary prevention of IHD.